Luers is a Central Illinois "Institution," having put high-quality, well-fit shoes on children for over 150 years. We are well on our way to establishing this same status in School Uniforms and Dancewear, where we are starting our 18th year in this business with the same values: high-quality goods with a variety of fitting options from people who have children and know children.
We stock a full array of children's shoes, boots and sandals in a variety of widths and from a variety of manufacturers. Our flagship line, Stride Rite, comes in sizes from 0 through adult size 7 and widths from narrow to extra-wide. For available styles, see the Stride Rite website, www.StrideRite.com for inventory which we carry or can procure through an order. Additionally, we carry inventory from other national brands such as KEEN, Birkenstock, Robeez, Saucony and Merrell.
On Fit and Quality
We are firm believers in the vanishing, but integral art of expertly fitting children's feet from babies to young adults, along with exception sizing for unusually hard-to-fit feet. For instance, the Hope Institution, which serves the needs of special needs youth and adult all over the State of Illinois, uses us for several of their clients. Combined, we can offer over 60 years of fitting expertise.
Facts to Know About Children's Shoes
- Bones are not fully formed in a child's foot until age 5. While the foot is still developing, the cartilage can be easily influenced by ill fitting footwear.
- The 52 bones in the human feet make up ONE QUARTER of all bones in the human body.
- Baby's feet do not have arches. Arches do not start to develop until 2 years old.
- Babies' feet perspire three times more than adults; so always look for breathable materials such as leather or anti-microbial linings.
- The heel is the one bone in the foot that helps balance the baby's ENTIRE body.
- You should never hand down shoes from one child to another. Why? Shoes, especially shoes made of leather, form to a child's foot once they are worn for a while. A person's gait is much like their fingerprint; it is unique to them. If a child wears hand-me-down shoes, his or her walking pattern may be affected since his or her feet are now trying to form to the gait of another child.
In addition to Stride Rite footerwear, we have Keene sandals & Saucony shoes
1520 South MacArthur
Monday-Friday 10am to 7pm; Saturday 10am to 5pm
We serve customers and schools and in Central Illinois, including Springfield, Peoria, Jacksonville, Champaign, Rantoul and Decatur, IL.
PDF order form
Easy Ordering: Store, Telephone & Web
In addition to our store in Springfield, IL, we also accept telephone and website orders.
For fastest response please call us in Springfield at (217) 528-1012.
Or send your order form via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. We check email 2-3 times a day on business days.
You may download, complete and send our PDF order form.
Instructions for using our order form are here...